- Developed and managed digital and audience strategy. More than doubled website, social traffic for each site.
- Directed digital operations including content, development, advertising, custom content. Responsible for budget, project management and design.
- Directed responsive redesigns of both websites, web apps, new email newsletter products and data centers. Oversaw transition to new CMS and CRM systems and new advertising platform.
- Instituted metered approaches to content and paid social media campaigns in both cities.
- Supervised editors, contracted with freelancers, recruited bloggers. Managed partnerships and contracts with vendors and clients.
- Acted as liaison with corporate advertising operations, engineering, audience and digital operations. Teamed with other publication digital and audience leaders to create efficiencies, duplicate processes and create new products.
- Oversaw analytics and reporting for websites, audience, advertising and social media, including Adobe Analytics, Salesforce, Chartbeat, MOAT, Social Flow, Qualtrics and Submittable.
Regional Editor, Southeast Michigan, Patch.com (July 2010-May 2012)
· Oversaw 10 Patch hyper-local websites, including management of editors, budgets, customer issues. Duties included data analysis, SEO and social media optimization and regional budgets.
· Recruited and trained 20 local editors; oversaw launches of 15 sites in eight-week period; conducted webinar training for Patch editors throughout country.
Visiting Editor-in-Residence for New Media, Michigan State University (August 2008-January 2011)
- Full-time faculty member in the Department of Journalism
- Creator, coordinator and instructor for Spartan Online Newsroom
- Created high school sportswriting camp as pilot for similar J-school camps.
Project manager and site editor, http://www.ItsMILife.com (October 2008-August 2010)
- Planned and supervised development of social network and website for teens.
Director, New Media, The Detroit News (May 2006-August 2008)
- Oversaw Detroit News website and the department that produced the site, which attracted an average of 30 million page views and 2.5 million unique visitors per month.
- Directed first major redesign of detnews.com in its 12-year history.
- Honored as one of top three business sites (www.AutosInsider.com), and one of top four sports sites (www.detnews.com/sports) by Editor & Publisher’s EPpy Awards in 2007 and 2008, respectively. Cited as best designed website in country with 2008 EPpy Award.
Director of Photography, The Detroit News (September 2002-May 2006)
- Supervised 25 editors and photographers in photo and multimedia editing and usage
Editor & Chief, www.ican.com (September 1999-March 2002)
- Planned, designed and maintained a Web site for and about people with disabilities.
Editing positions in Features, Metro, Business, Sports at The Detroit News (1986-1999)
Copy editor and wire editor (1984-1988), Fort Wayne News-Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
Ohio State University, bachelor of arts in journalism and math sciences, emphasis in business.
University of Michigan, MBA program